Friday, November 26, 2010

A Yule Tree...do you have one?

Yule Greeting Card from Dragon Moon gifts.
I grew up in a typical house.  Not that my parents were overly Christian, in fact they were more the opposite.  We still called our tree a Christmas Tree.  No matter how long I've been following this path I'm on, I STILL find myself calling it a Christmas Tree, instead of a Yule Tree.  I decorate a little differently, more organically.  No matter how many people say the Christmas Tree was a pagan symbol originally, etc. etc., it's just beating a dead horse.  It will be a point of contention for as long as I'm alive, I'm sure.  So I started thinking, do most pagans have a Yule Tree?  Or do they just string around holly that they put ornaments on?  We usually decorate our tree with solar symbols and fruit shapes, as well as other natural(ish) things.  Having little experience (actually, make that none)  celebrating Yule with other Wiccans, I really have no clue.  All I know is that it's all I can do to get Sean to bring ours in from the shed.  I've mentioned it 4 times this week.  Where is it?  Still in the shed.  You know, I don't think he realizes that this means it will be up longer after Yule because I won't have had my fill of it yet. But I digress.


The first thing that comes up on Google when you search "Yule Tree" a Wikipedia link about Christmas Trees.  The second is a link about the Icelandic Yule Tree, which seems to be much the same as a Christmas tree.  Then, fourth link on the page, is from Earth Witchery.  Finally!  A pagan link.  It's a great one too.  It covers the Yule/Solstice Tree, decorations, a blessing for it.  Check it out.  It's really a nice site.


So now I feel a little more normal.  At least I'm not to only one.  That's the problem with being a solitary practitioner for so many years, I've sort of lost touch with what other pagans are doing.  It's easy enough to find stuff on the internet about what the colors, symbols, foods, etc. are of Yule.  It's hard to find things that people are personally doing.  There are dozens of pages of Magickal Correspondences, but not so many of anyone's experience. 


So let me know!  Do you have a Yule Tree?  How do you decorate it?  If you don't have one, what do you do/decorate for Yule?

Goddess Bless,

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment