Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Spring Collection

This year, Brianna is old enough to know what's going on.  She pays attention to her surroundings, and of course wants to touch and eat everything she sees.  It makes going for walks much more difficult, but much more fun, as well.  It's also a great opportunity to begin showing her little bits of nature, and teaching her to see the beauty and divine within.  I know she won't be able to grasp much yet, but foundations are built little by little. 

She seems to really love pine cones.  There is one sitting on my desk right now, from the last time my Dad came over and we all went for a walk.  It's got a couple tine pieces missing out of it; I'm hoping it was like that when we picked it up instead of Brianna having tasted it. 

Have you ever looked at a pine cone?  Really looked?  Each piece perfectly interlocks, and the colors!  From beige to roan to brown, all on one little "shingle".  You can feel the energy of it.  I don't know that Brianna can feel that energy yet, but appreciation and interest are the first steps.

Trying to eat it is showing interest, right?

On a walk last year.
We also make a point of picking something up pretty much every walk we go on.  We have a feather, a few rocks and a bunch of flowers from last year, when she was still too little to eat them.  We're pressing the flowers, so she can have a little box for all of her treasures we get on walks someday.  Every little piece of nature she can grow up with and appreciate, the easier it will be later on to teach her to see the divine in nature.  I want to have a box for each season, so eventually we can show her the different elements in each season as well.

What do you do or will do with your kids to show them nature?  What did you do when you were young?

Goddess Bless,

Stacy

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea, Stacy! I'll have to employ it for sure when I start having babies.

    Makes me want to go on a walk to see what "treasures" I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hailey! I find that I never stop wanting to find treasures...it makes it easier to clean house, too! :D

    ReplyDelete