Monday, June 20, 2011

Duality: Embracing the God

With Father's Day yesterday and Litha tomorrow, this is a perfect time of year to truly embrace the duality of our religion.  As Wiccans, most of us believe in the Goddess and the God.  Most of the time though, the God doesn't get his fair share of the time.  We often are fairly one sided; whether that stems from the Patriarchal religions of our past or some sort of misplaced feminism no one knows.  I say misplaced feminism simply because Wicca already IS a feminist religion, in a sense.  Women are equal to men in Wicca.  So why do we feel the need to downplay our God?

The Horned God
Chances are, it is simply because of that word:  God.  When someone says God, what do you think?  It depends entirely on your upbringing.  I've said it before, but while my parent's were not religious as such my town was.  So when someone says God, my thoughts revolve around Hell, punishment, sinning.  You know, that whole "God Fearing" thing.

As Wiccans, we should be embracing the divine masculine.  Our God is the Lord of the Hunt, but he is not to fear.  Our God is Lover, Father and Sage.  Our Gods - the majority of them, anyway - want us to be happy.  In Doreen Valiente's Charge of the Goddess, it states: " Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth; for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. "  I think that this applies to the God as well.  What Father doesn't want his children to be happy?  


There are a growing number of men coming into the craft these days.  So many of them are embracing that sacred feminine; that equality that drew them in.  How many of us women Witches embrace the sacred masculine?  It can go both ways, and all ways.  We all need to embrace the duality in ourselves, acknowledging the male and female portions of us all.  We need to help men embrace true masculinity - whatever that means to them.  Masculinity doesn't have to mean the same thing it did 50 years ago, and embracing the God can be a perfect opportunity to redefine it.


What do you do to honour the God?


Goddess (AND God!) Bless,


Stacy


::The above image isn't mine.  I couldn't find the credit for it.  If someone knows, please tell me!::

4 comments:

  1. On the day where the sun's influence is at its peak, the God should certainly be honored and appreciated. :) And yup, it's all about balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a girl, and my birthday happens to fall on Litha. I agree with The Coexist Cafe; while the God should always be honoured, He should especially be honoured on His day (and my day, in a much lesser sense). I share a special day with Him, but I often get too caught up in the celebration of my birth to remember it's more about Him on June 21st than it is me.

    I try to honour the Goddess in any big or little ways I can. I feel that simply being grateful for what She's given me is honouring Her, and thanking Her for the little things (and the big things, when they come up).

    ReplyDelete